Translate

Monday, July 02, 2012

monday ponderings


sandycove
sandycove

…. He did not want to play. He wanted to meet in the real world the unsubstantial image which his soul so constantly beheld. He did not know where to seek it or how; but a premonition which led him on told him that this image would, without any overt act of his, encounter him. They would meet quietly as if they had known each other and had made their tryst, perhaps at one of the gates or in some more secret place. They would be alone , surrounded by darkness and silence: and in that  moment of supreme   tenderness he would be transfigured.

Stephen Dedalus

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
James Joyce





neki desu
Creative Commons License

1 comment:

  1. “I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it calls itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defense the only arms I allow myself to use -- silence, exile, and cunning.”
    ― James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

    Neki san, I wish I could keep the standard of my artistic life to this level. I read this book when I was in High school and it was one of those you cannot ignore. It is still next to my bed (very dog-eared) and this particular passage gets read when I need a kick in the butt.

    ReplyDelete

interaction appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...