Translate

Sunday, November 11, 2007

working with green and honing skills



Green is such a difficult color for me. i don't understand it and i do not feel at ease working with it. Not like blue that holds no secrets for me and its always a joy to work with.

i'm forcing myself to work with green and see if i can overcome this lack of understanding. Also doing some more needlefelting to get the skills . Nothing serious though, pure craft, which is not objectionable in itself. The difference between crafts and art is that crafts are about technique, whereas art is about content. At least i see it that way. The horizontal piece, a good example of this, is a compendium of techniques: hand stitching, free motion stitching, needlefelting, painting, dyeing. There's no other objective than to try them out in a visually pleasant way.




One thing i discovered i like about needlefelting is its immediacy, compared to weaving i'ts instant gratification. Another one is how color can be created and manipulated in an almost physical way.
And here i am. My mind should be studying for a Japanese test on Wednesday and here i am happily punching away. And creating these impeccable pseudo profound alibis :)

neki desu

3 comments:

  1. Well Neki, you know me... I love the orange piece :-)

    Green is difficult for me too. Particularly dark green, yellowish green is easier. Why is that? I love all the green shades in nature but find it really hard to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neki, I love the green color trials. That piece in the last photo is wonderful. I love the varying intensity of the colors and textures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neki, I know this post is several months old, but I just ran across it and wanted to let you know that I have this problem with red. I didn't even realize that until I was doing a creative exercise where you put a whole spectrum of colors on a page and then quickly and intuitively "assign" emotions to them. I got to red and wrote "anger" and then started to realize that my work has no red in it--in fact, I needed a piece of red fabric for something and I had NONE. It was an amazing eye-opener for me because I had to work my way through my issues around anger in order to understand why I avoid that color. Now I'm working on incorporating that realization into my work, but also on playing with the color red. It's amazing what strong connotations color has for us!

    ReplyDelete

interaction appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...